Friday, February 27, 2009

Supernatural

Someone, or something, was pursuing us. They are hot on our trail. We evade them somehow, and are always a step or more ahead. We can fly... no it is not flying, it is jumping in huge strides across trees and houses. It was natural, yet supernatural. But in the excitement of the chase, we got separated. I found myself alone, lost. A crowd in a valley, walking around in the grass with no clear direction. No din, no panic, just mellow people walking around. It was pitch dark, I found myself in an urban alley. The stink is familiar. I am in the streets of Tayuman. I saw the walls inside the house of my maternal grandmother. A photo of my grandfather, I wondered how I can acquire it to make a copy to bring home to my mother.

I felt I had to hurry, I needed to be in hiding. I am suddenly inside a cavern. There was a group of little creatures, goblin-like but friendly-looking, loading packages (that looked like food and supplies for households) onto a platform. The platform was a huge dead stump a a large tree, perhaps 50 persons across. When the stump grew full, the packages were sucked in as in a warp, or portal.

One by one the little people jumped into the portal, with a person of authority calling out those who qualify. I see eager faces. They want to be called. Anyone left behind will suffer. I realise I should be called. But suddenly the portal closes, and only a handful of us are left.

A lanky fellow speaks to me. We cannot pass, he says. There is only one way. These produce that is left, we must bring them to Timberlung. Another retorts, That is a dangerous feat! We cannot survive, it would be suicide! We must wait for a few months, or a year, to be sure that we will not be devoured. By then there will be order, and we can proceed our market in peace.

But no, the lanky fellow said. We have no choice. We must risk the danger, lest we starve to death. I was uncertain, I knew not what to do--- die, or fight.

Then I awoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment